Edikaikong soup is one of the richest vegetable soups in Nigeria filled with lots of vitamins and nutrients. A friend of mine from Cross river State recently thought me how to make this mouthwatering delicacy and i enjoyed every bit of it. Hope you like :D•Serves: 6
•Meal type: Main course
• 650g Pumpkin leaves Ugwu, chopped
• 650g Waterleaves (Ceylon spinach), Chopped
•1 cooking spoon Crayfish, Ground
•2 Dry fish (optional)
• 1 Kilo Beef meat(Cut into chunks)
•1 large Red onion, diced
•1 Medium stock fish head
• 300g Tripe (Sharki) & Pomo
• 2 medium cups of periwinkles (with or without shell)
• 2 Red scotch bonnet pepper(Ata rodo), Blended
• 4 Cooking Spoon Palmoil
• Salt to taste
1. Wash the Pumpkin (ugwu) and Water leaves; Leave them to drain separately then set aside as these would go in last.
2. Place the Beef, Dry fish , Stock fish , Kpomo/ Sharki, Into a medium sized pot. Add the Scotch bonnet pepper , diced onion, 1/2 litre of water(You can add more water intermittently if needed) , salt and seasoning then cook till the meat becomes tender and until most liquid in the pot evaporates. This is to ensure our stock is concentrated because, water leaves once added into the pot brings out so much water which is just enough for the soup (Infact! Water is forbidden).
3. Add the periwinkles, Crayfish & palm oil into the concentrated stock and leave to cook for about 3mins.
4. Once the Stock is done, Add the Water leaves then incorporate with the stock mixture. Add the Pumpkin leaves (ugwu) ; stir and leave to cook for about 5mins without covering the pot.
5. Turn off the burner and Serve with any form of swallow.
♥♥♥ Stay Updated with more Recipes and Tutorials by following via the links below♥♥♥