Hope you are having a wonderful May Day Work free day….whoop! Whoop! . I must say, it came at a very convenient time for me because the whole Fam stayed home today to enjoy the meatballs I made early this morning. When I was done with the meat balls, I made a simple tomato sauce to go with it - Everyone enjoyed it. Then the heavy rain……Sweet Jeezzz!!! It made the weather sooooo freaking cool which is a far cry from the harsh naija Sun we've been putting up with. I got the minced meat I used from the Shoprite Shopping Mall (I went to the one at ikeja). They’ve always got fresh and Very affordable goods. I got the pack of minced beef for 599Naira and guess what, they even gave me my 50+50kobo change…..lol!!!.
If you don't have where to buy minced meat, you could also grind your meat.This is really easy to do if you have a mincer, Grinder/ food processor. It also saves a whole lot of stress and money.
To start, Wash the meat thoroughly with clean water then slice off the elastic muscles with a sharp Knife. Most times the grinder is not able to grind this part of the meat. Dice the meat into smaller chunks and place in the grinder - Grind. To skip this process, simply get minced meat.
Homemade meatballs recipe:
• Prep time: 30 minutes
• Cook time: 5 minutes
• Total time: 35 minutes
• Makes : 25 Meatballs
• Misc.: Serve Hot
•500g Minced meat (beef)
•2 tbsp. Ground red pepper
•1 Egg (Slightly beaten)
•¼ Onion (diced)
•5 cloves Garlic (Minced)
•1 Seasoning cube(Crushed)
•1 tsp. Salt
•1 cup Vegetable oil
2. Mix thoroughly making sure you combine everything together
3. Wash your hands thoroughly and scoop a tbsp. of the mixture into the palm of your hands; Roll into smooth balls (It comes out fine when rolled with wet hands)
4. Place the rolled balls on a flat plate and leave to set on the counter top for about 15 mins
5. 10 minutes into the set time of the rolled balls, pour the vegetable oil into a dry pan and leave to heat on the burner for 5 mins on medium heat
6. Gently drop the rolled balls into the hot oil in the pan and leave to fry for about 5 mins till golden brown, making sure you turn intermittently.
7. Scoop out the meat balls and place in a plate.
8. Serve with any dish or prepare a light tomato sauce to go with it. If you’ve got stew…..Well, That’d do perfectly J.
- The secret to perfect meatballs that don’t fall apart is the size. Roll out small portions.
- To keep the meatballs from falling apart or sticking to the pan, its always advisable to drop them into hot oil. This makes it firm up as soon as it gets into the oil
- The egg serves as a binding agent. Make sure its incorporated well into the mixture
- Make sure the garlic, onions are diced finely. This is so you wouldn’t have trouble making the meat stick together
- Don’t crowd the pan, fry them adequately spaced out
*** I made a light Capsicum tomato sauce to go with the meatballs. Click to view the preparation process
|Light Capsicum tomato sauce with meatballs|
|Meatballs in light Capsicum tomato sauce|
♥♥♥ Stay Updated with more Recipes and Tutorials by following via the links below♥♥♥